Open to new members and all levels of talent, the Cochrane Music Society’s mission is to promote shared musical expression and cultural heritage by providing affordable, flexible and effective music education for the community.
The adult-focused, community music society is comprised of three, un-auditioned ensembles: the Band on the Bow concert band, Choral Waves mixed-voice choir and the Riverside Jazz band.
The society strikes a balance between learning and performing locally; typically rehearsing weekly throughout the school year, holding occasional workshops and performing twice a year – once in spring and at Christmas.
The Cochrane Music Society’s vision is to be a vibrant, dynamic component of Cochrane’s diverse musical community, operating according to the following guiding principles:
- We are an inclusive organization, recognizing potential in all people and achieving common goals through supportive teamwork and professional leadership.
- We maintain a sustainable program of musical instruction for members of varied experience.
- We engage respected, qualified educators who have the ability to inspire learning and integrate individual expression in musical ensembles.
- We achieve progressive goals of excellence through repertoire that challenges yet promotes success and enjoyment.
- We recognize and celebrate the accomplishments of our members.
- We explore innovative opportunities to adapt to the changing musical interests and talents of the community.
Ever supportive of local initiatives and celebrations, the society has performed at past Canada Day celebrations, the opening of the Aquatic and Curling Centres at the Spray Lake Sawmills Family Sports Centre, and the recent ‘Movie Under The Stars’ event.
For 2020, the society is commissioning four compositions by up-and-coming composers: watch for future performances and connect with them online to learn more.